Problem solving is: “The process of working through details of a problem to reach a solution.”
Problem solving is an important skill needed in everyday life and teaches children how to solve a problem effectively, calmly and in a way which would please Allah in accordance with Islamic principles.
As Madrassah teachers, you can develop these skills by including problem solving activities in your lessons.
- Give the pupils a ‘problem’ to solve and get them to clearly identify it, e.g. Maryam is being bullied at school.
- Get them to work in groups to come up with possible solutions.
- Write ideas on the board.
- Get each group to analyse the different solutions and consider the pros and cons.
- Get each group to choose a solution to solve the problem.